Jesus: A Theography

I wasn't as anxious to read Jesus: A Theography, by Leonard Sweet and Frank Viola, as I have been other books by these authors, who are among my favorites. It sounded serious, and I'm not a real serious guy. It sounded, well, technical, I guess. And challenging. Maybe even dry (though I've never read anything by Sweet or Viola that could be called "dry"). But I read it anyway, and I am so glad I did.

It is an astounding accomplishment. The authors call it a "theography" because it tells the story of Jesus, the God-man, as told not just in the Gospels (which more or less chronicle his thirty-plus years of earthly life and ministry), but as told from the first lines of "the First Testament" in Genesis to the last words of "the Second Testament" in the Revelation. In doing so, they show compellingly, thoroughly, and engagingly how the whole Bible reveals Jesus.

It left me shaking my head. How could the authors have said so much, so well, so consistently? And how could I have missed so much over so many years as a Bible student, preacher, and follower of Christ? And how much richer would my learning, teaching, and living have been through the years had I read this book long ago? Nearly every sentence in the book brims with beauty, power, and fresh discovery. I took more notes and highlighted more passages than perhaps any book I've ever read--and that's saying something! It even made me repent of those times when my wife and I were in school together and I teased her for often highlighting nearly a whole page at a time, stressing to her that when everything is important, nothing is. But in the case of this book, I recant those words.

I couldn't more highly praise Jesus: A Theography. I couldn't more enthusiastically recommend it. I honestly think everyone should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment